Sunday, November 2, 2008

Happy Halloween!

Hey Everyone,

Lance and I had a really busy Halloween this year. It wasn't suppose to be that involved but ... things happen. In this case, Lance's boss called him earlier in the week to "make sure he knew about the costume party at the Marine House." Um, yes and we were planning on skipping it but now that you mention it specifically ... sure we'll be there!

So. Or should I say "sew" because that is what I was doing on Friday. Pulling together and sewing bits for our costumes. Lance went as
and looked totally awesome. I went as
and nobody knew who the heck I was. She isn't normally as scowly as this so I went for more of a relaxed smirky version. Especially when people asked...

"Are you Laura Croft?"

Sigh.

Actually I was going for Starbuck from the latest version of Battle Star Galactica. (WHICH WAS A TOTALLY AWESOME SHOW!) I made gold hexagon dog tags and everything. Mad props go out to Lance who drank the can of horrible beer that had the only gold paint job I could find. Waste not want not. The other 5 are in our fridge if anyone is feeling brave.

So it was fun.

We left after an hour or so and met up with a few more friends back at our house for a bit of Rockband. Roughly 6 hours later (I'm not kidding here) everyone was stumbling out of the living room, there were high fives all around and exclamations of "Damn that guitar solo..."

All this really is a set up so I can give you the forthcoming quote the day.

We are all in the kitchen finding keys, rinsing bottles etc when I see a HUGE spider crawling on the wall. I haven't posted a pic of one of these lovelies yet. They are skinny but roughly the size of a baseball. They set off motion detectors if that gives you any indication of how bug these things are. Well this one was in softball territory. OMG. I pointed it out and Lance gets the bug spray and starts doing his thing. The spider falls and starts running around the kitchen floor. At this point... one of my guests screams and throws his empty beer bottle at it.

These things happen at 2 am when there are empty beer bottle present.

It totally breaks, missing the spider mind you, and people from the other room come running. Kim asks me what happened and I say in my controlled but admittedly a few sheets to the wind voice:

"An interesting decision was made ... in my kitchen ... by a guest."

She cracks up. I honestly didn't mean it to be a joke rather a measured, rational evaluation of what seemed like an absurd event. In hindsight it was pretty funny. The spider was eventually killed, the glass cleaned up and everyone made it home in one piece. Just another Friday evening at the Sells.

No comments: