Wednesday, May 20, 2009

And You Know What else They've Got in Namibia? (Part 3)

Gorgeous skeletons of camel thorn trees protected by the dunes. They have been water-free for over five hundred years and are only disturbed by the occasional tour group or music video crew.
Of course Lance and I were there too.
And that was our far too brief visit to the beautiful Namib Desert and the amazing trees in the Dead Pan. It was really a photographer's dream with the dunes changing color through the day and the black streaks of iron ore coming out as it got hotter. Goodness, but it got hotter! We enjoyed a late breakfast with conversation in the shade and headed back to the lodge by noon. A loooooong drive back to Windhoek through the changing landscapes and racing the setting sun.

Btw, I don't just say we "raced the setting sun" to be poetic, though I was kinda going for that truth be told. In many areas of Southern Africa, if you are driving at night time you run the very high risk of hitting something or someone. (It does happen and gets very complicated very quickly!) There are no lights outside the cities and fences are never a guarantee. We have lucked out so far but that is after slowing down considerably and the occasional shout of "Donkey on the left!" or "Cows!" or "Guy!" What's funny is the last 150 km into Botswana are always the worst as far as animals in the road and we are inevitable driving it in the dark. TIA m'dears. So that is why we could only spend half a day in that amazing park. Honestly, it is the one place we have visited that I feel like we must go back to. Preferably with a better camera, a tripod and big floopy hats.

2 comments:

Bogie's Keeper said...

Ahhhhh .. the obligatory tourist snaps! What a beautiful and fun place! Make sure the car gets sold, we've run out of room in the driveway. :)

Bogie's Keeper said...

Tee Hee! Everytime I post a comment and look at the time stamp, I'm automatically 6 hours older...knock that off! :)